Some of you have been asking what I'm planning to do work-wise. Basically, my plan is to spend the next six months or so converging on a new idea for a business. I'm going to start by creating an intellectual sandbox which allows be to brainstorm widely and play around, and then I will gradually start to focus in on what's most likely to succeed. Here's how I break it down:
Phase 1: Gather & play
- Go to lots of meetups and conferences on different topics of interest. Meet experts in various fields and talk to them.
- Play around with lots of different technologies and pieces of content.
- Create a big cluster chart of areas of interest.
- Maintain lists of complaints about the world as it is as well as ideas
Phase 2: More targeted play
- Pick up skills and do small projects in areas of interest.
- Do more targeted brainstorms with others around specific projects.
Phase 3: Focus
- Evaluate various efforts, and pick most promising one.
- Areas to consider around a promising business idea:
- Where I can most leverage my existing skills
- Where I’m most passionate
- Short time to proof of concept?
- Short path to profitability?
- Who else I find that shares passion for the idea
- Competitive landscape
- [personaldev] Intellectual sandboxes